- Easy walk (one steep path)
- 1 hour 30 mins
- 2 miles (3.2 km)
- Landranger 196, Explorer OL29 Map
- Dog friendly, but some road walking
Start at the Pilot Boat Inn and follow the track between the pub and the public toilets keeping the dentist on the left and walk up a steep path with towards the High Street. At the top as you reach the High Street, turn right onto the road. Follow the road to the left-hand bend.
Here you can follow the road to Steyne crossroads, straight into Hillway Road and then left into Howgate Road. Follow this road and then pick up the public footpath to the rear of Warner’s Hotel. You can then follow this footpath to the Crab and Lobster pub.
If you want a slightly longer and more picturesque walk, at the earlier left hand bend you cross the road into the entrance to Bembridge Windmill, stopping off at Windmill, if you wish, and then continue down the path into the woods. At the bottom of this path, turn left through the copse and across the busy, Sandown Road, over the stile and follow the path with Steyne Fort to the left, and the caravan park to the right.
When you get to Hillway Road, turn left then right, onto the public footpath around the school, which can be muddy when wet, and down to Crab & Lobster pub.
At the Crab and Lobster pub you have two options:
1: If the tide is out, walk down the steps onto beach, turn left, walk around the head, past the Lifeboat Station and on round to the entrance to Bembridge harbour, Tollgate café and back to the Pilot Boat Inn.
2: If the tide is in, follow the public footpath signs onto Howgate Rd, to the rear of Warners Hotel, and follow unadopted roads and footpaths back down to the Pilot Boat Inn.
- By road: There are several car parks close to the Pilot Boat pub and some on road parking.
- By bus: Southern Vectis No 8 service from Newport or Ryde.
- By bike: The Pilot Boat Inn is on the Round the Island cycle route: https://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/dbimgs/RTICycleMapNew.pdf
- By foot: The Isle of Wight Coastal Path passes close to the Pilot Boat Inn.
Walk devised by Bembridge Parish Council