- 75 miles (4.5km)
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- OS MAP Landranger 196; Explorer OL29
- Dog friendly
Star at the National Trust car park near Bembridge Fort (grid ref: SZ626859).
From the car park near Bembridge Fort, follow a grassy path on the right side of the road towards the coast. Keeping a hedge on your left and taking the left fork when the path splits, youll meet the road again by a cattle grid. Cross this road and emerge onto Culver Down. Head along the road towards the monument. Take care, this road can be busy at times.
Take a look at the Yarborough Monument (a memorial to Lord Yarborough, the first Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron), then return to the road. Continue past the Culver Haven Inn and the site of Culver Signal Station (now a car park) to Culver Beacon and Culver Battery.
Descend some steep concrete steps and cross Culver Battery car park. Continue in the direction of Whitecliff Bay, along a grassy path which bends to the right and follows the crest of the chalk ridge of Culver Down eastwards to the sea.
On reaching the cliff top fence, turn right and follow the path southwest, in the direction of Sandown, for the next 1.5 miles (2.5km). Pass through two kissing gates before reaching the natural amphitheatre of Red Cliff, shortly before a holiday park.
Marvel at the views before turning round and retracing your steps to the last gate you went through.
Take the left fork in the path and follow a grassy track away from the coast. Head across the down, back towards Bembridge Fort, which is visible on the horizon. Keep a fence on your left and at the way marker follow the path uphill. Within 50 yd (50m) of the Fort, branch right, under some electric wires, to reach the Fort entrance directly. The Fort is not open to the public. You can visit a viewpoint on the east side of the Fort on the way back to the car park.
Getting There (Bembridge and Culver Downs, Bembridge Fort, Culver Down Road, Sandown, Isle of Wight. Nearest postcode PO36 8QY)
- By foot: This trail follows the Isle of Wight coastal path between points 4 and 5 on the map.
- By bike: ‘Round the Island’ Sustrans Regional route 67 follows the B3395, about 0.5 miles (0.8km) from the start
- By bus: Southern Vectis (tel: 01983 827000) No. 8 service linking Newport, Ryde and Sandown passes along the B3395, about 0.5 mile (0.8km) from the walk start.
- By car: Culver Down road, leaves the B3395 Sandown/ Brading to Bembridge road to the east, close to Yaverland. The Fort is at the top of the hill
More on this walk click here.